Here is another week’s worth of ideas to help you lead your home in worship, devotion, discipleship, and safe-service to others during these days of quarantine and social-distancing. These ideas could be done on any day of the week; the days and dates listed below simply correspond to the days they were first published via social media :-)
Monday, March 30, 2020
#HOMEchurch Day14. One of my favorite aspects of this unprecedented season is all the extra family time we are getting to have at our house. Under normal circumstances, we only get to have everyone home together for dinner maybe 2-3 nights per week, at best. But over the past two weeks, we have eaten almost every evening meal together! It’s been wonderful!
Dinnertime conversations can be some of the most meaningful times together among families and roommates. Here are some questions to spark conversation among your household over dinner this evening. If you live alone, why not arrange with a friend to eat dinner together over FaceTime or Zoom from your respective homes? While you eat, you can ask each other the following questions:
- If you could choose a theme song, one that started playing anytime you walked into the room, what would you choose?
- What’s your best injury or scar story?
- Who is someone you admire or respect, and why?
- What culture would you like to learn more about?
- What is the most unique or silliest problem you have going on in your life at the moment?
Tuesday, March 31, 2020
#HOMEchurch Day15. Today, your household can join together in prayer for an unreached people-group around the world! The Joshua Project provides an app & web site with statistical info & prayer guides to assist with this.
Jesus commissioned us to make disciples of ALL the people-groups of the world (Matthew 28:18-20). He gave us a measurable task that has a clear ending goal. The Great Commission will eventually reach completion within some generation’s lifetime – isn’t that awesome!? It could happen within our lifetime, or within our kids’ lifetime, or our grandkids’… There WILL come a day when God’s great mission for world evangelization and discipleship WILL be accomplished – and we are invited by Him to be a part of that accomplishment with Him!
Today, visit The Joshua Project online, and select an unreached people-group – to pray for the salvation of persons of peace God has prepared within those communities and the vast networks of lost people they represent.
Wednesday, April 1, 2020
#HOMEchurch Day16. Today, arrange with a friend to have a Discovery Bible Study with them by phone or FaceTime. What is “Discovery Bible Study” (DBS)? Simply put, DBS is a way for groups to read and discuss the Bible using four strategic questions to discover God and His guidance for our daily lives. In DBS, no one is responsible for teaching – the group is simply reading and discussing the Scripture together, trusting God’s Spirit to be their teacher and to reveal the truth of God’s Word through the discussion (John 14:15-17).
Today’s Scripture is Matthew 21:28-32. Here are your instructions:
PRAY – One of you pray, welcoming the Spirit of God among you, and asking Him to reveal His Truth to you.
READ – One of you reads today’s Bible passage aloud.
RE-TELL – The other then re-tells the passage as best they can from memory. This is not a performance – just a chance for you both to listen to the passage again, and to help fill in any details that were missed.
DISCUSS – Discuss the passage using the following four questions together:
- What do these verses say about God?
- What do these verses say about people?
- If these verses are true, then what should I start or stop doing in response?
- Who is someone I will share these discoveries with this week?
PRAY – One of you pray, asking God to give you the wisdom to know what to do, and the courage to do it, in Jesus’ Name.
Thursday, April 2, 2020
#HOMEchurch Day17. When you go out for your daily walk, take some sidewalk chalk with you, and draw some Bible verses or words of encouragement on the end of your driveway, in your apartment complex roadways, or on the sidewalks near your house! Take some pictures and share with loved ones online!
Friday, April 3, 2020
#HOMEchurch Day18. Fast from lunch today, and spend your normal lunch hour in prayer for the healing of the nations. Here are some ideas to prompt your fasting-prayers:
- Healthcare workers & their families: that God would defend them from catching the virus or being overcome with fear; that God would administer healing & recovery through their hands & decisions.
- That God would supernaturally bring an end to the spread of this virus.
- The Poor in your area & around the world – they are most vulnerable to both the short-term & long-term effects of this virus, both medically & economically.
- The Elderly & Immuno-deficient in your area & around the world – who must endure this season in isolation – may God Himself be with them.
- Government Leaders & The Wealthy – that God would help them be unselfish and lead them to leverage their power & influence for the good of others.
Saturday, April 4, 2020
#HOMEchurch Day19. Feast with your household today! Prepare your favorite meal together, and savor each delicious bite of it together! Focus your mealtime discussion around the goodness of God – His grace, kindness, generosity, benevolence to you – whether now or in the past. Retell your favorite stories of how He was with you, or provided for you – how He healed you or shielded you from danger – or how He redeemed a broken situation, or blessed you beyond what you deserved.