Sunday, March 29, 2020
It’s the second Sunday of self-quarantine. By now, your church has likely moved its Sunday worship services online – or if not, you’ve probably found another that has. And that’s great! We’ve got to maintain our sense of connectedness through this season of physical separation.
But what if I told you that, in addition to watching your church’s worship service online, you could also lead your own household in a special moment of worship, right where you are? You can do this. Really, You Can Do This!
Here is a simple liturgy (order of worship) that you can use to lead your household in a time of worship at home :
Gather the following SUPPLIES ahead of time:
- blank paper for everyone in your home
- pens, pencils, crayons, or markers
- YouTube pulled up on your device or computer
- cups of juice (or any kind of drink) for everyone in your home
- crackers, bread, or anything similar
Gather everyone together in your living room, and distribute the blank papers and writing utensils.
- Welcome everyone to this time of worship, where we will take just a few minutes to focus our attention on God and share in Holy Communion together.
- Ask everyone to think about God. Set a timer for 90 seconds, and ask everyone to use this time to silently concentrate on the qualities and character of God.
- Invite everyone to write or draw on their paper whatever comes to their mind.
- After 2-3 minutes, ask if anyone would be willing to share what they wrote or drew.
- After everyone shares who wants to, ask for someone to offer a prayer to God on behalf of your home.
- Pull up the song “How Deep the Father’s Love” by Fernando Ortega on YouTube, and ask everyone to listen along and worship the Lord together.
- Ask everyone to imagine Christ on the cross, and how He carried all our sins there with Him. Now ask everyone to silently confess their sins to Jesus… and then to thank Him for being our Savior and Deliverer from sin.
- Next, invite everyone to repeat this declaration after you: “In the Name of Jesus, you are forgiven!”
- Now take the cups of juice (or whatever drinks you prepared) along with your crackers or bread, and say the following: “Jesus our Lord invites to His table all who love Him, who earnestly repent of their sin and seek to live in peace with one another. These simple elements represent the Body and Blood of Jesus – let us partake of them together as ones He has forgiven and redeemed.” And then all take a bite of bread and a sip of juice together.
- Conclude with a simple prayer of thanksgiving from your heart – just thanking God for His grace and love, and for each of the members of your household.
You’ve totally got this! You don’t need a seminary degree or a certificate of ordination to lead your household in worship. As a leader in your home, you are authorized by Jesus (Matthew 28:18-20) and commissioned by the Church (1 Peter 2:4-9; Revelation 5:6-10) to provide spiritual leadership for your household!
In fact, the Body of Christ is at its most effective when every Christian household has someone within the home who is providing spiritual leadership, encouragement, and discipleship for the members of their individual household. YOU CAN DO THIS!!